Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving

I watched a special on the history of Thanksgiving last night. I didn’t realize that Thanksgiving actually started out as a religious holiday and evolved from there. Learning the roots of Thanksgiving makes me appreciate it more.

In 1941 when the country was on very hard times Pres. Roosevelt said there should be a freedom from want and Norman Rockwell came out with this picture.I read on a new site last night about all the various acts of kindness going on all over this country for Thanksgiving. People opening up their homes to total strangers who have lost everything – their homes, their cars, their jobs. I read about businesses supplying Thanksgiving dinners to those in need who “may be too embarrassed to take their children to a soup kitchen this year”. People who had everything a year ago have nothing this year.
This photo and Roosevelt’s statement just made me realize how things come full circle.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone…

No comments: