Friday, March 21, 2008

American Idol

I was able to see the taping of American Idol on Wednesday!!! I have watched the show every season but one so I was excited to go and see the "behind the scenes" of the show.

American Idol


It was my Uncle - who got the tickets, my Aunt, my Mom, and myself. We arrived 30 mins early so we walked around The Grove - shopping mall - I have been there before. It is an upper class mall, the one store we went in had a shirt for $238!!!

We met the reps that were giving my Uncle the tickets, and they walked us up to the VIP entrance of CBS Stuidos and made sure we got in w/o any trouble. We were seated really quick and like I expected the whole AI set is very small. I have seen a taping of Jay Leno, been in the SNL studio and the Conan O'brien studio and all of them are very small. The AI set is no exception. There are only 14 rows and we sat on row 5 to the left of Simon. The stage is small too, the contestants are only a few feet from where the "loser" performs. I watched A.I. when I came home and you can only see us in one shot but you would have to know where to look - it is minute 42 for anyone with a DVR :D.

They pre-tape the phone-in sequence and while they were filming the question about Simon and his cars Paula made a mistake about naming Mercedes and Bentley so they said "Cut" and re-taped the question and answer sequence... so the whole phone-in thing is pretty rehearsed before filming. They also pre-tape the performance by the special guest... in our case Pickler. The rest of it is live though.

I was very surprised to see Carly in the bottom 3... it was sad because she was sobbing during the commercial break and it took them almost the entire 3 minute commercial break to get her a tissue. Wouldn't you think they would have those ready to go?

I thought it was cool that after Amanda was done singing her good-bye performance and the cameras were off Simon went on stage, hugged her, and talked to her. There is a softer side to him. ; )

After the show we went out to dinner and then drove home. The results show tapes at 6pm so we were home by 10pm.

Thank you Uncle Justin for a WONDERFUL day!

1 comment:

Holley Williamson said...

That sounds like so much fun!