Thursday, November 17, 2011

"Is it really you?"

Our very best friends Don & Sara live back in Southern California.  When we moved to Texas leaving them was as hard as leaving family... Don & Sara and their two boys really are our family.  Our families met back in 2004 but thanks to Don, Brent, & Don's boat, Brent and Don became best buddies and nearly inseparable early in 2005.  It worked out wonderful because Sara and I became good friends and their two boys and our 3 kids (at the time) became close friends.  Sara and I even have arranged marriages set up!

Over the years Seth has split his head open and needed 6 staples at the their house, we have had many boating adventures, we have vacationed together, we have spent numerous New Years Eves together till all hours of the night, Don has allowed us to know more about him than we cared to - with a little help from Brent, and Don has dropped a wakeboard on Brent's head at Lake Powell requiring him to get several stitches.  Sara and I tease Don and Brent all the time and tell them they have a "bromance".

Since our move over 2-years ago we have been fortunate to get to see each other several times.  They have come out to Texas to spend time with us or we have gone back to California.  No matter how much time goes by since we have last seen each other it is always like we haven't been separated for months.  When the 10 of us get together it is nothing but laughing and good times.

Last Friday I received a phone call from Don.  He told me his company needed him to drive out to Austin and wanted to know if he could stay with us... of course he could!!!  I told him we would actually be in Austin for a softball tournament!!!  Don told me he wanted to surprise Brent and just show up 1300 miles away from home!!!  I was so dang excited!  It was really hard to keep my mouth shut.

The timing of the whole thing really worked out perfect!!!  We had just checked into our hotel room Saturday evening when Don text me that he was at the hotel and was coming to our room.  I had my camera ready and so when Don knocked at the door I told Brent to get it.  Brent was a little perturbed that someone was knocking on our door.  Here is what happens next...




As you can tell Brent was shocked!!! His reaction is priceless!!! Who would have thought that his best friend from 1300 miles away, 18 hours, would knock on our hotel room door!!!!  Brent's reaction of, "Is it really you?" had Don and I cracking up for his whole visit!!!

It was SO nice seeing Don.  He was able to stay until Monday morning.  The really sad part though was that Sara and the boys were left back in California.  We are SO looking forward to when the whole family can come for a visit over New Years.

We miss you guys!!!!


2 comments:

Sara Young said...

We miss and love you guys so much and can not wait to see our Texas Family at the end of December. This New Year's Eve is going to be just like old times. Hopefully no one will need stitches though. :)

craigandlissa said...

I love this! Miss you all!