Monday, April 20, 2009

Calico Ghost Town

Brent has been bugging me to go to Calico Ghost Town with him for years. I was never really hung up on the idea. For those of you who don't know what Calico Ghost Town is it is an old silver and borax mining boom town from the late 1800's. It is located in the desert of Southern California about 15 minutes outside of Barstow.
My cousin and his wife came to stay with us over Easter and we were trying to figure out what to do on the Monday after Easter. Brent again suggested Calico and this time I was out numbered. We actually had a lot of fun. It wasn't real hot, 85 or so, and there was no one there. I actually learned a lot too, so did the kids.

Here are the kiddos in a wagon when we first got there. We let them miss school... this was a learning experience for them.

Kirstine caught Hannah.

All of us outside the old cemetery. Brent, Maia, Nathan, Trisha, Hannah, Larissa, Kirstine, & Seth. The most recent burial here was in 2006!

Here is our family portrait in Calico. It was a lot of fun!

2 comments:

The Hull Family said...

I love the old fashioned family photo. I've ALWAYS wanted to do that, it looks like so much fun to get all dressed up like that! Who knew Calico could be so much fun?

The Hull Family said...

Love the old fashioned family photo!! I have ALWAYS wanted to take one of those. It looks like so much fun getting all dressed up! Who knew Calico could be so much fun!