Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Having a sick child sucks!

I think of myself as pretty tough when it comes to certain things, I have always wanted to be a nurse and will be someday... if I ever quit having kids. LOL However when my own kids are sick I don't always deal so well. I just feel so helpless and I always think the worst.

A week ago Sunday Larissa came down with a fever... no big deal really, we have some weird gene that runs on my side of the family where all you get sick with is a high fever... nothing else and usually no one else catches it. So when Larissa got a fever for a couple days and nothing else I didn't panic. On Wednesday when she was STILL running a fever I was getting a little concerned but when she woke up Thursday and was fine I felt much better and didn't think anything of it. Her fever for those 3 1/2days never got above 102.5.

On Friday she woke up with a fever again and this time was more lethargic and just not her usual self. On Saturday night her fever was up to 103.5 and I became more worried. Sunday was more of the same except she quit drinking and wouldn't even eat a popsicle. My Dad came over and so Brent and him gave her a blessing. Sunday night when I put her to bed with Motrin in her system she was a 102.

At 2am Monday morning Hannah came into my room and told me that Larissa needed me (Hannah and Larissa share a bed). I took one look at Larissa and knew she was REALLy sick, Hannah and I just sat there and cried with Larissa for a couple minutes. Hannah told me she had said two prayers already for Larissa to feel better. Larissa wasn't totally responsive and all she could do was cry. I picked her up and she was so hot I could barely touch her. I took her temp and she was 104.7. (Hannah sets the record with my kids at a 105!) I tried to get her to drink or eat a Pedialyte pop but she wouldn't so I undressed her and and put her in a cool bath. She didn't like it at first but as her fever came down she calmed down, quit shaking, and became more coherent. I kept her in the bath for about 15 minutes and then put her in bed with me with nothing on but a diaper. Her and I laid in bed till about 3:30 am until we both crashed. I was SO thankful Brent was home, he kept me sane, when I first saw her at 2am I lost it. Brent works nights so it was luck he was home.

Brent called her pediatrician at 8am and got an 11:40 appointment. The doctor was really at a loss as to what could be wrong with her since she has no other symptoms besides a fever… her ears were clear BTW. We tried to get Larissa to pee in a cup but that was useless so they had to catheterize her to get a urine sample.. poor thing. She didn’t like being catheterized one bit. It broke my heart. The dip stick test came back as clear but they are sending the urine in to be cultured.

Her doctor said he really wanted to hold off on doing a blood test and give her a couple more days to see if this would work itself out of her system. He said to alternate Tylenol and Motrin every 3 hours and if she is still running a fever Wednesday morning to bring her back in for blood work.

After her doctor appointment today I gave her some meds and put her down for a nap and since 12:30 pm she has had medicine in her every 3 hours so she is doing good, I haven’t left any chance for the medicine to wear off. I am going to wake her at 12:30 am to give her some Motrin and then let her sleep through the night and hopefully she wakes up fever free in the morning.

So I am praying and crossing my fingers that everything is okay.

No comments: